But to me that's just the point: it's guaranteed that I'll have to replace
the roof.  Whether it's now or later I will, someday, have to replace the
roof.  It's a cyclical thing - we can never get a house with a roof that
won't need to be replaced.

For what it's worth the roof is in good shape overall - no leaks, no
structural damage.  It's older, that's all.  There are a few shingles
missing... but that doesn't seem unusual (I've been doing a lot of looking
around the neighborhood since last week).

Aside from those missing shingles there wasn't a single other problem with
the roof (no tears, no curling) so it strikes me that, if we're lucky and
repair the (small) current problem we might get easily another five years
from the roof.

But roofs don't last forever - it would be nice to have gotten a new one, if
it needs to be redone soon then it won't need to be done again until I'm in
my sixties.

The price of the house is squarely average for the area but it's got a
bigger lot, more square footage, central air, two kitchens and all new
windows and doors for that average price.  (The AC and new windows/doors
were all installed less than three years ago.)

I'm just surprised so many people are saying "run!" when it seems like these
are common and expected problems.

Am I being naïve?

Jim Davis