Well... honestly you seem like a picky bastard.  ;^)

We went through this house and liked it enough to buy - remember we're at
the agreement phase here: the inspections phase.  We've already "picked the
house", applied earnest money and so forth.

We might look at dozens of houses but we can't afford to spend upwards of
$1000 on each one for the inspections!

We are taking it slowly.  The key to this place right now is the mold.  It
is a (pretty strong) possibility that the issue is surface-only and could be
controlled with a decent dehumidifier.

Even if that's the case however it's not a "go".  There are enough other
issues with the place to give us pause, but not enough, I think, to outright
run away.

The house has clearly been well cared for over the years... but it is
definitely starting to show its years.

> Additionally did the seller live in this house or was this a flip?

The current owner lived there for three years.  He's older (perhaps 50's),
single (lives alone) and says he's moving back to Florida to get away from
Winters.

I get the strong impression that the house was meant for two but that "she"
dropped out the picture.  (For example when asked about the paint in the
master bedroom he said something to effect of "It was done about two years
ago; it's good paint but I never liked the color.")

He paid $125,000 in 2003 and has put in substantial improvements (most of
which are still under warranty).  For what it's worth he did NOT refinish
the lower rooms (the ones where the mold was spotted) - they've been like
that from the start (it's a split-level, those lower rooms were always meant
to be lived in - it's not really a "finished basement" in the normal sense).

Jim Davis