Not the type of investment I'm talking about. I'm talking about the kind
that sit in money market accounts or CDs. These don't help the economy,
unless they get taxed.

I like the idea of a sales tax over an income tax, it could simplify things.
Of course after you factor in various exemptions, and other things it will
still be complicated.

Do we charge everybody the same at the store and then they get money back
later? I would hate that, if I don't owe it, then don't ask me for it. Same
way I do my income tax now. I don't overpay, so the government doesn't get
to draw interest on my money, I get to draw it.

Do we step the tax level at the checkout, do we all have some sort of card
that determines what type of exemptions we get, allowing the person doing
the checkout to know how much money everybody makes?