> Dana wrote:
>couple billion in taxes not collected and costs borne by the
community, this is not a handout?

No.  Here's why:

If I offer to sell you a car for 20% below market cost because I need
to get rid of the burden fast, is that a handout to you?  No.  You
just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

Let's say you turn around and sell it for market cost and realize a
profit.  Have you profited from a handout?  No.  That's just plain ole
garden variety arbitrage.

In the case of Wal-mart, there's simply been a transaction; services
rendered for a fee.  Wal-mart has agreed to take on the risk and cost
of building, stocking, and staffing a store in exchange for a break on
its taxes, etc.

Wal-mart lowers it's risks and costs and the community gets the store
with the associated jobs.

As far as I can tell Wal-mart has never extorted anybody; they're
simply been the result of a business transaction between a city and
private business entered voluntarily by both parties.

Unless you have some evidence that these business transactions weren't
done voluntarily, you have absolutely no case.

Ever see the Antiques Roadshow?  Many of those people buy things for
WAY below market.  THE GALL!  They've made a profit!  What right do
they have to take that hand-out!  Let's tax the crap out them!  No,
let's throw them in jail and seize their property.  It's really the
only humanitarian thing to do.