The argument "They do it too" is EXACTLY the point of this whole argument.

EVERYONE publishes cartoons offensive to someone else. That is the
very nature if a political cartoon. Often, that is the PURPOSE of a
political cartoon.

EVERYONE eventually finds something outrageously offensive. The
question is, what do you do about it.

If such cartoons are really so offensive as to be worthy of a violent
reaction, why would any paper ever be allowed to publish such
offensive cartoons? This holds true in Canada, Denmark, Japan and
Jordan.

If such cartoons about Christians or Jews do not provoke outbreaks of
violence, then why would anyone expect cartoons about Muslims to
provoke violence.

To me the whole things comes right back to 5th grade.
If you can't take a joke about yourself, don't tell one about someone else.

It appears to me that the West (as a simple handle) acknowledges that
if they want to print such political cartoons that may offend someone,
they have to accept such political cartoons that are offensive to
them.

It appears to me that the part of the Muslim world that is making such
a todo about this feel it is fine to write such cartoons UNLESS it
offends them.

It is this stance that I dislike. Fair is fair.

But even this uneven treatment is not the problem. People are
illogical and inconsitant all the time. It is only when you couple
this inconsitancy with violence that it becomes wrong.