Now
>>|apart from it being free is there any benefit to actually using mySQL
over access? SOme
>>|people swear its much faster than access but I'm also aware
>>|thats it lacks a lot features.

*** WARNING: Longish-type email to follow ... ***

WHAT!? You have FREE TIME??!!!

*** get's out muffin pan ***
BAP! BAP! BAP!

<harumph>

*** muttering about deadlines and moving and packing ... wishes Kola were
here to help ... ***

<grin>

I haven't used mySQL, but I've researched it a bit just for curiosity's
sake, so here are some of the goodies I've come across. In my opinion, if
you already use SQL Server .. stick to it. Unless the client doesn't want to
spring for it. Then mySQL seems like the most viable alternative, even
though it's not feature-rich.

With spare time on your hands, and the coming of NEO, why don't you dive
into some Java? Unless of course you already do that! :) Anyways, hope the
following points you in some kind of direction! :)

Some pretty decent resources:

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Tutorial.html

http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/code/mybasic.htm

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/programming/php/tutorials/tutorial4.html

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/MySQL/MySQLWiz/page1.html

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/MySQL/Access/page1.html

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/MySQL/ODBC/page1.html

mySQL Interface:

http://www.dbtools.com.br/index.php

>From a previous posts on CF-Talk:

FULLTEXT
>>|indices as well as COUNT(DISTINCT).
>>|
>>|The table handler InnoDB is now offered as a a feature of the
>>|standard MySQL server, including full support for transactions and
row-level
>>|locking...."

DB has
>>|MySQL doesn't. Nusphere makes a custom MySQL with some enterprise
features at a
>>|price. Also postgresql is free. If you already have SQLServer stick with
it;
>>|it's easier and better. I have MySQL and coldfusion working together
fine.

Erika L. Walker-Arnold, VP, RUWebby, LLC
Macromedia ColdFusion Alliance Partner
Macromedia ColdFusion 5.0 Certified Developer