It's definitely cool stuff - the trick will (as always) be to pragmatically
understand "good touches" from "bad touches" (without an after school
special to help).  People will expect to lean on the display and NOT have
their elbows cause input for example.

Fatigue will definitely be an issue for any extended use - there's a reason
that more natural motion-based interfaces like pen-computing or gestural
computing still haven't replaced the mouse and keyboard.

I would expect such systems to find appreciative audiences in the kiosk
world.  It's also clearly applicable to certain tasks (newspaper/magazine
layout, real-time resource management or medical imaging for example) - but
not, I think, to general everyday office computing.

There were definitely aspects of "Minority Report" that I thought were cool.
The one that I'm still wondering on is why can't I copy something to
somebody's computer as easily as I can copy it to my clipboard?

In the movie they just dragged information to a handheld device then walked
that device over to another computer - we can do better than that!

Why can't I do, say, Alt+C get a pop up list of friends/workgroup computers
and choose one.  That person would get an unobtrusive alert and they could
press Alt+P in any program to paste what I sent.

I find myself having to IM or email small pieces of information all day -
email addresses, IPs, code snippets, etc.

Jim Davis