From: Gruss Gott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 1:33 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Bush in Da House, Raise The Roof!

Snow Says U.S. Has Taken 'All Steps' to Avoid Debt Limit
A WALL STREET JOURNAL ONLINE NEWS ROUNDUP
March 6, 2006 1:00 p.m.

Treasury Secretary John Snow notified Congress on Monday that the
administration has now taken "all prudent and legal actions" to keep
from hitting the $8.2 trillion national debt limit.

In a letter to Congressional leaders, Mr. Snow urged lawmakers to pass
a new debt ceiling immediately to avoid the nation's first-ever
default on its obligations. "I know that you share the president's and
my commitment to maintaining the full faith and credit of the U.S.
government," Mr. Snow wrote.

Treasury officials, briefing congressional aides last week, said that
the government will run out of maneuvering room to keep from exceeding
the current limit sometime during the week of March 20.

Mr. Snow said government debt managers are starting to use the Civil
Service Retirement and Disability Fund to stay below the current
limit. Mr. Snow said he has declared a "debt issuance suspension
period," a technical designation that lets Treasury suspend new
investments for the civil-service fund and redeem some of that fund's
investments, "as authorized by law."

The Treasury secretary said "it is important to understand" that this
maneuver "provides only a few days of additional borrowing capacity,
which we expect will be exhausted by mid-March."

Treasury officials also announced that on Friday they had used the $15
billion in the Exchange Stabilization Fund, a reserve the Treasury
secretary has that is normally used to smooth out volatile movements
in the value of the dollar in currency markets.

Treasury has also been taking investments out of a $65.3 billion
government pension fund known as the G-fund. Officials have said that
once the debt limit is raised, the investments taken out of the
pension funds would be replaced and any lost interest payments would
be made up. The formal title for the G-fund is the Government
Securities Investment Fund of the Federal Employees Retirement System.

An actual default on the debt, a situation when the government misses
making payments to current bondholders, is a doomsday scenario
considered highly unlikely given what it would do to the government's
credit rating.

It is expected that Congress will approve an increase in the current
$8.18 trillion debt limit by perhaps $781 billion. Mr. Snow will be
meeting privately this week with U.S. lawmakers to discuss the
importance of raising the debt limit, Treasury spokesman Tony Fratto
said at a routine press briefing on Monday.

Senate Democrats have asked the Republican leadership for extended
debate before raising the debt limit. Senate Minority Leader Harry
Reid (D., Nev.) has said he wants to amend debt limit-increase
legislation "to reduce the need for further debt increases in the
future."

Whatever concerns Congress may have about the longer-term budget
outlook, "we cannot hold hostage the full faith and credit of the
United States of America," Mr. Fratto said Monday. Any indication from
lawmakers that they can't support an increase is "not appropriate and
certainly not sustainable," he said. "At the end of the day, the debt
ceiling needs to be raised."

Congress has put off a debt-limit increase until "the eleventh hour"
several times during President Bush's administration, but "we cannot
take it for granted" that putting off the increase this time won't be
problematic, Mr. Fratto said.

The administration has sent Congress a budget that on paper would cut
the deficit in half by 2009, the year Mr. Bush leaves office. But
Democrats contend the administration met its deficit-reduction goal
only by leaving out major spending items such as the full costs of the
Iraq war. They say the deficit won't improve unless Mr. Bush abandons
his effort to make his first-term tax cuts permanent.

Sen. Max Baucus (D., Mont.) said last week that under Mr. Bush the
total of the deficits has increased by $3 trillion, a 40% increase
from where the national debt, the total of previous deficits, stood
when Mr. Bush took office in January 2001.