>> Your argument sounds stupid. :)

> That's because you either refuse, or are incapable
> of, understanding it, apparently. Because your
> comments that follow don't address any aspect of
> my argument.

I'm not going to get into 3rd grade debate tactics with you.

>> You're still saying "I'm in the 'in' crowd, so you're
>> wrong/stupid".
>> That's a logical non-sequitur for starters.

> And here's the evidence. I can't even begin to figure out
> where you are getting this idea from.....

Okay... then what's your objective proof that killing is evil in all
circumstances? It must not be anecdotal evidence, and it must not be
based on the opinions of others, no matter how many billions of others
that includes, and it must be something on which all people can
universally agree.

You said:
> Killing another human being for a reason other than
> self defense IS wrong, universally and objectively.
> Claiming otherwise is cultural relativism...a position
> who's ludicracy has been made evident time and again.

So where is your universal and objective proof? I assume it was
written by someone? Maybe other men? Maybe people who make moral
judgements? Maybe people who've made moral judgements with which you
agree? And they've proven this "time and again" have they? And they've
done this by what means? And they've agreed on those judgements
perhaps?

hmmmmmm.... I think I see a pattern here...

>> On the subject of killing in particular, it's not black
>> and white. You say "it's allways wrong to kill except
>> in self defense", but killing isn't always black and
>> white and self-defense isn't always black and white.
>> There's assasination for starters -- the question of
>> whether or not you would have killed Hitler if you had
>> the opportunity and knew before hand is a classic
>> example. Lots of folks believe abortion is murder,
>> but if you read Freakonomics, you know that even
>> if there were an absolute truth to the idea that
>> abortion is murder, the subject would still not be
>> black and white because of what we know to be the
>> societal repercussions of a ban on abortion in the past.

> I agree there are some very contentious issues in which
> the morality is most certainly NOT clear. Your examples
> point to that. But Isaac, aren't there also situations
> where the morality IS very clear?

I believe so, however, others disagree with my beliefs, therefore my
belief is a moral judgement. I also tend to belay moral judgement to
specific circumstances. I don't personally like to apply morality with
a broad brush, such as saying that killing is always evil (even with
the caveat that it's okay in self defense). If a person is killed, I
have to know the circumstances to determine what I believe about the
virtues of the act. Once I am reasonably informed about the
circumstances I may come to the conclusion (although in most cases
probably will not) that the act of killing said person was not evil.
Which is actually unusual for me because I tend to be very "intuitive"
(ENFP) with regard to non-moral judgements... with moral judgements I
tend to be more "sensing", go figure.

Lets use a different example. Human sacrifice, and I'm betting that
most people would agree with you that it's fundamentally evil. (I'm
guessing that would be your position, given what you've said thus
far.)

In the previous cultures which have accepted human sacrifice as part
of their religious acts, being chosen to be sacrificed has been
considered an honor, and the people who died would disagree with you
that it's an evil act. Since I'm also willing to allow a person to
commit suicide without considering it fundamentally evil, I am also
willing to consider human sacrifice in those cultures to be not
fundamentally evil.

By contrast I consider the decimation of cultures (or cultural belief
systems) to be fundamentally evil because it has the effect on culture
that mass extinction has on biological diversity (see massacre of
Indians on this continent in previous centuries and its effect on the
proliferation or even the preservation of those cultures).
Historically many cultures which included human sacrifice in their
religious lives have been culturally if not physically subverted or
decimated in a very 1984-ish way by cultures which believed human
sacrifice to be fundamentally evil.

I believe this to have been a fundamental evil which has harmed us as
a whole. Most people disagree with that belief, but that's my moral
judgement. So my moral judgement in this case is the literal oposite
of the vast majority of our culture, both with regard to the
good/evil-ness of human sacrifice and with regard to the
good/evil-ness of subverting or decimating cultures which include it.
These things are simply not reconcilable. I will believe what I
believe, others will believe what they believe. And there is no way to
prove that either of us are correct.

>> I'm not saying that whatever a culture wants to do is
>> fine. When I believe that my culture is doing a bad
>> thing I speak out and attempt to encourage the culture
>> to change. What I'm saying is that the fact that lots
>> of people agree with you doesn't make you right. You're
>> actually using the same culturally-relative argument that
>> you're then lambasting others for using. Except I'm not
>> using that argument -- I'm telling you it's wrong.

> Then you are not a cultural relativist, and I'm not sure
> what you are rambling on about.....other than refuting
> this phantom "in-crowd" argument.

You assumed I was a cultural relativist. Not sure exactly what that
assumption was based on... In any event, the whole thing got started
over the argument that "morality" is objective (and apparently some
confusion about definitions of words). I was merely pointing out that,
since there is no way to prove in an objective manner that one
person's moral judgement is correct instead of another person's, and
that there are literally no moral subjects on which people universally
agree, that morality must be subjective.

s. isaac dealey     434.293.6201
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with
the onTap open source framework