At 13, the kid's reasoning abilities probably aren't fully developed.
Immature connection between actions and consequences.  Couple that with the
freedom the internet provides for 'anyone to say anything' and I could
easily see this happening.  It's like fighting in a chat room, or
something.  You tell someone you would kick their ass without having to back
up the threat or expect retaliation from it.  I'm not saying ignore the
kid.  Check him out, certainly, but I would bet this is just basic idle
ranting of an angsty teen and nothing more.