That's probably what happened in this case, along with the house arrest
provision.

> Since around 12 or 13 if I said I was gonna fuck someone up, I at least
> tried, and always expected to pay the price.

Everyones different.  Which is why 0 tolerance/absolute laws are a bad
thing. :)  While the kid may have been serious, there is also a good chance
he just had no understanding of how serious a thing that is and probably
never expected the reaction he got.  Tossing him in juvie, even if he has a
prior record might not be the best course .. especially if the prior was
something stupid that stupid kids do, like spray painting a wall or
something.  Now, if the prior was related to some form of violent behavior,
well ...