It's largely an upper respiratory infection that the primary care doc refuses
to take seriously because "these things usually clear up on their own."

(pause here for major eyeroll)

Apparently it is considered Bad Medecine to prescribe antibiotics for
respiratory infections, but acceptable for patients to require codeine syrup to
breathe afterwards, because then you get to give lectures on the dangers of
addiction!

I am fairly annoyed about this, if you can't tell -- I have a ten-year history
with this and I keep being told condescendingly that I have a cold that will go
away by itself. It never does, but by the time the issue arises again they have
switched my doctor and I get to do it again. I have been patient about this so
far because nobody knows how the herbal preparation (which does tha same thing
as the antibiotics, which do work when I get them, incidentally) anyway, nobody
knows how the herbs interact with coumadin.

So I was hearing, well, you will only be on coumadin for six months, can you
just trust your doctor with the respiratory infections? Uh huh. And so I start
to get one and I go in and tell my story and they look at me like I just told
them I read romance novels and am working on my GED and tell me it will all be
fine, "these things usually clear up by themselves."

(pause here to kick a wall)

But I am tired and pissed and no longer willing to be sick for three months at
a time because conventional medecine believes as an article of faith that colds
go away by themselves. So they do, but in me they trigger some sort of
inflammatory process that always always always requires heavy duty medical
attention. This is the best guess as to how I got two cracked ribs last fall...

Anyway, rant over. Bottom line is, I have now been officially told that I have
some sort of undiscovered clotting disorder and that I'll be on coumadin
long-term. So we're either going to resolve this or we are going to find out
how coumadin interacts with lotus root rhizome :)

I do think a dry nose is also part of it. I do already have a heated humidifer,
but when I use it my nose gets all stuffy and I take the mask off in the middle
of the night because I can't breathe. Then the medical plan gets huffy and says
that if I don't use it they will take it away. ::mutter:: I have had some
success with Ayr saline gel. I do appreciate the suggestion though, and your
time spent listening to this rant.