http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200604/POL20060418b.html

Democrats Will Appeal Ruling on Indiana's Voter ID Law
By Susan Jones
CNSNews.com Senior Editor
April 18, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - A federal court has upheld an Indiana law requiring
people to show a government-issued photo ID before voting, much to the
disappointment of the Democratic Party, which says many of its
constituents -- minorities, the poor, the elderly and the disabled --
will be adversely affected.

"Indiana's voter ID law, widely regarded as one of the most
restrictive in America, creates unfair obstacles that will prevent
citizens who are lawfully eligible to vote from casting their
ballots," said DNC Chairman Howard Dean in a statement issued on
Monday.

"I applaud the Indiana Democratic Party's decision to appeal this
ruling," Dean said. "As part of our Party's commitment to doing
whatever we can to ensure that all Americans have the opportunity to
participate in our democracy, the DNC will assist the Indiana
Democratic Party's legal challenge to this unfair law and continue our
fight to make it easier for all Americans to exercise their right to
vote."

On Friday, U.S. District Judge Sarah Evans Barker issued an opinion
saying that the plaintiffs, including the Indiana Democratic Party and
the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana, had produced "not a
single piece of evidence" that the law would prevent registered voters
from casting ballots.

The ruling means voters who show up for Indiana's May 2 primary must
produce a driver's license, passport, or other photo identification
issued by the state or federal government.

People who don't have a driver's license or other acceptable photo
identification may get a free ID card from the Indiana Bureau of Motor
Vehicles, press reports said.

And the Indiana Secretary of State says people who are "unable or
unwilling" to present photo ID on Election Day may cast a provisional
ballot, as long as they follow up with the County Election Board
within 13 days -- providing either a photo ID at that time or an
explanation of why the law's exemptions apply.

Indiana's Republican-majority Legislature passed a law requiring photo
ID at the polls last year, as part of an effort to reduce voter fraud.