> >Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement for
> >Yahoo to provide a community environment?  There are three
> >requirements:
> >
> >1. It needs to be free or open source.  I'm willing to donate space
> >and bandwidth but there's no money in this group.
> >2. It needs to provide all of the services Yahoo does (did).  Recently
> >Yahoo got rid of their web based chat system.
> >3. It needs to be user friendly.  The group is made up mostly of older
> >computer users that aren't "up" on lots of the "cool layouts".  Heck,
> >we have a round of "trim your digest replies" about once every 6
> >months.
>
> Can you define the features that Yahoo had?

Sure -

- Email list with web access (much like the HoF lists) including the
ability to post either via email or via the web.  Also the ability to
moderate posts made by specific users and set up the user to be
moderated or not.
- Simple file share with categories.  Files are uploaded by users and
can be deleted by the user that uploaded them or a moderator/owner.
- Photos section, same as files.
- Links sections, same as files.
- "Database" section, allows a member to create a single "table" to
contain data.
- Polls section with multiple concurrent polls.
- Members that have the ability to be moderated, have a handfull of
different member levels (regular member, moderator or owner) that
includes their email preferences (delivery method, HTML settings,
etc).
- A calendar section that sends out reminder emails to members that
select to receive them.
- A web based chat service.  Yahoo's was through their own chat
service but if i could simply get a web interface to IRC it'd be fine
as well.

>From what I understand MSN has a similar "groups" service but they
don't have the moderator concept, without which the system can degrade
to nothing more than a spam collector.  If there was a service that
provides the same thing that Yahoo has I would recommend jumping to
them.  Yahoo just dropped their chat and that along with other
problems they have had n the past is triggering this research.

Thanks!