> Nick wrote:
> It seems to me that they are. I would think that while the CIA might be
> getting the info. It is still spec ops that are doing the job.

But now you've got special forces, not standard infantry, fighting.
Special Forces are were not created specifically for war, but for
special purposes (thus the name).

And we use our military all of the time for non-war purposes: the
national guard, to guard embassies, etc.

Wars are typically against a people occupying a land - you fight the
war to get the land or prevent the people from getting yours.  That's
not this case.

In this case the only real organization you've got is Al Quaeda who
are policy wonks.  This is very similar - if not the same - to Tim
McVeigh who had a small organization of people that wanted government
policy changed.

Further, Congress declares war and, even if they wanted too, they
couldn't.  There's no person to declare war on.  Afghanistan was a war
and Iraq is a war, but neither have much to do with terrorism anymore.