That's just details. The Inca could have wiped out Pizarro's party and they
still, over time, would have been subjugated because they lacked the
military technology and might of the Spanish empire. This story is repeated,
all over the world, all throughout history.

The Mulsim Caliphates of the Middle East and north Africa spread from the
Arabian peninsula all the way to Spain by the 8th century. They conquered by
military force and imposed an Islamic caliphate on that part of the world.
By the 15th century, the Caliphs had become complacent, and the man who
would become the King of Spain drove them off the Iberian peninsula. The
empire of Mali in west Africa was one of the largest, most prosperous
empires of the African continent. It eventually broke apart and was gobbled
up by competing kingdoms.

Going back to the issue of imperialism, it had some benefits, but it had
tremendous costs in human terms. And I agree in generally that ultimately,
much of the legacy of imperialism and colonialism is of brutality and
subjugation. But, as Chesty pointed out, that's all ancient history. We can
recognize the failures of the past, but we can't change them.

When it comes down to it, the basic question I take away is how and when the
U.S. should use its military power. First, we should use it as little as
possible and only as a last resort. Second, we should use it only in defense
of our own nation, in defense of other free nations, or in defense of people
living under oppression.

The devil is in the details, though, and no one really agrees what "last
resort" means. Clearly some people thought invading Iraq was a last resort
that we arrived at rather than a choice we made, and many others disagreed
with that assessment. More people thought invading Afghanistan was a last
resort, but even then some folks disagreed. Also, what is defense? Is a
pre-emptive strike defense when the target of the strike wants to acquire
WMD and has a stated goal of destroying you? That's arguable either way,
though I would argue only a fool lets his enemy determine his fate.