> Scott wrote:
> I can't vouch for new VW's but based on this one I wouldn't buy another

In my experience this is true of any make, any model.  You're taking a
risk no matter what the statistics.  You could've easily bought a
Honda and had the same problem.  I did.

My 1996 accord coupe blew a drive shaft gasket at 60k miles and just
about any mechanic wanted $1500 to fix it.  F-that!  So I "upgraded"
to a Ford Taurus.  What a piece of crap!  I dumped it after 8 months.
Prior to that I had an 80something Escort wagon.  The thing broke all
of the time, but I knew how to fix it and where to get junker parts.
Prior to that I had a Festiva.  That worked fine but I rolled in on
the freeway.  Prior to that I had a Fiesta.  Same thing as the wagon.

So, I decided that I would just lease and buy a car that had pampering
auto service because I didn't want to *have* to fix cars anymore.
IMO, why buy an expensive problem?  Now, if the car I lease is a POS,
I don't care, they come pick it up, fix it, and bring it back.  Not my
problem.