http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/15/gates.ap/index.html

 Bill Gates to step down from Microsoft

Thursday, June 15, 2006; Posted: 4:53 p.m. EDT (20:53 GMT)

REDMOND, Washington (AP) -- Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates said
Thursday he will transition out of a day-to-day role at the company he
co-founded to spend more time on global health and education work at the
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

The company announced a two-year transition to ensure that there is a smooth
transfer of Gates' daily responsibilities, and said that after July 2008
Gates would continue to serve as the company's chairman and an adviser on
key development projects.

"This was a hard decision for me," Gates said in a statement. "I'm very
lucky to have two passions that I feel are so important and so challenging.
As I prepare for this change, I firmly believe the road ahead for Microsoft
is as bright as ever."

Chief Technical Officer Ray Ozzie will immediately assume the title of chief
software architect and begin working with Gates on all technical and product
oversight responsibilities, Microsoft said.

Similarly, Chief Technical Officer Craig Mundie will immediately take the
new title of chief research and strategy officer and will work with Gates on
the company's research and incubation efforts.

Mundie also will partner with general counsel Brad Smith to guide
Microsoft's intellectual property and technology policy efforts, Microsoft
said.