I disagree. Bin Laden has never had operational control of Zarqawi or
(apparently) of anything going on in Iraq. There has been plenty of
"executive level" communication and coordination, but nothing operational
apart from Bin Laden and Zawahiri complaining about Zarqawi's tactics.

As for the chance we are taking, what I am saying is that there are no
guarantees. At the end of the day only the Iraqi people can guarantee
freedom for themselves. I can see a future where we have some presence in
Iraq similar to the presence we had for years in the Philippines, but that
depends on the Iraqis. If they want us out we will leave and it will be up
to them to make their own future.