Actually, I agree with Hatton on this one. There's something to his logic.
Hatton's. Rush loses me with the Unicef rant, what the hell. A swollen belly
is a sign of starvation. Those people in Somalia are happy to get rice
because they need all the calories they can get, but their bellies aren't
swollen from too many calories.

Hatton is right about food pantries. Food boxes tend to be very heavy one
processes starches. Spaghetti, Ramen noodles, mashed potatoes. That is what
keeps.  WIC, which I did get, provides formula, milk, processed cheese and
some processed cheeses. Only some srpecific items are approved. I still
can't stand Velveeta and that was almost fifteen years ago.

Some people buy junk food with their food stamps because it's comfort food,
and others because there is no grocery store in their neighborhood. In
either of these cases they are likely to run out of food stamps before the
end of the month.

I mean, it's fun to condemn the ignorance of others of course, but if anyone
actually wants to know why, there you are.

As an additional problem, I will mention that all these programs are
extremely fragmented and that it becomes rather like Russia -- you stand in
one line for the bread, another for the milk, a third for the utilities and
a fourth for the rent. By the time you are done with any one of those the
kids are whitefaced and screaming. And you still don't have diapers. Or
soap, or money to do laundry, or buy a  bus pass.

When I lived in Gaithersburg I knew a couple of different multigenerational
welfare families, and I agree that nobody should grow up in the expectation
of being taken care of. It really frosted me off that I was out driving a
taxi with my kid in the car, and the people who were doing well were the
people whose mothers put them on the section 8 waiting list at birth. What
the hell kind of expectation does that create in a child? But I don't think
their life was easy. It was just the only one they knew.

And by the way, obesity does tend to correlate with poverty.

My proposed solution:

Mandatory college classes for families that seem mired in the underclass.

Good, licensed and low-cost daycare.

What I don't have above is pushing people out into the workforce, or limits
on the length of time people can be on some sort of assistance. That is
because they are already in place. I do think that we have gotten away from
the idea that some people sometimes need a little help to a sort of
alternate life that solves nothing. Pushing people out into the work place
solves nothing if they don't have a safe place to take their kids. There is
little incentive to postpone having children if you can't imagine any other
life for yourself. Thus the the college classes.