> WIC, which I did get, provides formula, milk, processed cheese and
> some processed cheeses. Only some srpecific items are approved. I still
> can't stand Velveeta and that was almost fifteen years ago.

I think WIC varies from state to state. My experience with WIC (yes
indeed, WIC recipients we were with our first kid) was quite
different, we were allowed Formula/Milk (before/after a certain age),
whole grain cereals (cheerios, mueslix-type), eggs by the dozen; we
could get real cheeses (cheddar and mozzy and other block-type stuff)
up to a certain dollar value, so not Kraft, but we could get
store-brand (FWIW Velveeta and single-serving type cheeses were off
limits). Additionally we had a fresh vegetables and fruit allowance on
the program. We could get melons and tomatoes and spinach and stuff,
though, oddly, not lettuce (probably a simple calculation of
nutritional value).

Oh and peanut butter.

Scads of peanut butter.

there was WIC peanut butter in our pantry for a looooooong time after
we were off the program. basically we got a medium-sized jar every two
weeks.

that's a lot of damn peanut butter...

--
will

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true;
and that would just be unacceptable."
- Carrie Fisher