i had a septoplasty done (in conjunction with a few other procedures)
and yeah, it hurts.

lots of saline is a must, as well as lots of clearing out the crap (i
know blowing your nose hurts, but it'll help in the long run).

so, yeah, as reassuring as it might be, the pain is within normal
parameters.  i was warned ahead of time that it was a painful
procedure, so had the expectations set.

one thing that did exacerbate my procedure was that i ended up with an
infection and an abscess.  i called the doc a couple of days after the
procedure complaining about the pain, and he basically said "pain's
normal for this procedure."

by the time i got in to see him, the pain was still there (and i
couldn't breathe thru my nose, which was the more telling indicator
since by that point i should have been able to do so easily), he took
a look and saw the abcess and...well, not to be too terribly
graphic...popped it.

a few days and a few antibiotics later and things were good.

if you're in -that- much pain, i suspect there's a possibility that
you -might- have an infection :\