Yes,

Transitional renders as standards in Firefox with the correct box model
(width is content only, padding and borders are in addition to your width).
However, it renders in Quirks mode in IE with the broken box model (width is
content + padding + borders).  (along with other more subtle things)

Standards mode renders as close to each other as you can get across
browsers.  Quirks mode allows browsers to support older pages, the ones
written when everyone used to put a "Best Viewed In Browser X..." button on
their pages.

You designed in IE didn't you?

I have found it is much easier to a) make sure I am using a DocType that
supports standards mode across browsers. (HTMT 4.01 Strict, or xHTML 1.0
strict. b) design first in FireFox and then make changes to support IE using
a conditional comment and a separate style sheet.) Remember IE7 is coming
this quarter and it fixes a lot of IE6 breaks.

Sandra Clark
http://www.shayna.com
Training in Cascading Style Sheets and Accessibility