> Cam wrote:
> It's not a Bush problem, or
> a Republican problem, or a Democrat problem, it's a national goverment
> problem.  And if you pay taxes, it's your problem.

The intent is not for wealth distribution, it's to pay for those
things necessary to running our government and protecting our
citizens.  And I would also say that the tax code itself is such a
jumbled mess of fiscal policy that it's imploding in on itself.

And I would say it's a Republican problem, but only because they were
supposed to be the party of fiscal conservatism.  They aren't.  They
were to fix the tax code and the spending problem.  They haven't.

Liberals, on the other hand, have been working towards your point for
decades. Welfare and minimum wage are good examples.

But the liberal argument is a good one: welfare-type programs are an
investment because we're helping a person to become productive, or to
move up and earn more, and that will pay us back with interest.

The problem, of course, is that even if someone does move off of
Welfare or minimum wage the trigger is not the program but some
outside event.  And, especially with Welfare, to few moved off.