I'm in a debate of sorts on a newspaper board about breed specific
legislation. For the uninitiated, breed specific legislation is anylaw
that restricts or prohibits the ownership, breeding etc of dogs based
soley on breed, it's usually aimed at  the pitbull breeds, but can
sometimes include German Shepard Dogs, Rottweilers, Huskies and Great
Danes. It's also known as "Dangerous Dog" legislation

http://home.hamptonroads.com/blog/index.cfm?uid=53

What I've tried to present is the stance that

1) the pitbull breeds where originally bred to guard, not fight
2) a properly trained, and cared for  pitbull breed, is as trustworthy and
loving as any other terrier
3) Statistically pitbull breeds are less likely to bite than Cocker
Spaniels, Labs or even Chihuahuas
4) breed specific legislation does nothing to solve the problem of dog
attacks, because the responsibility for the dog and it's training or lack
thereof falls on the owner not the breed.

here's just some of the information I've used for data

Dog Watch: http://www.dogwatch.net

American Dog Owners Association: http://www.adoa.org/

American Kennel Club:
http://www.akc.org/news/sections/legislative_alerts.cfm

Play find the Pit Bull, would you really know an American Pitbull terrier
if you saw one?

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

What I've found on this particular board is people who refuse to read/see
the facts and refuse to present anything to back up their opposing
viewpoints.

Scott A. Stewart
REAC/PASS-IT
(202)-475-8875