I think there is a distinct difference between making fun of someone
for a slip-of-the-tongue, and purposely misinterpreting a statement
and implying someone believes something you don't think they do.

Making fun of Bush's inability to vocalize a coherant thought is mean
and petty.

Pretending to be offended by a statement you know someone didn't make
(that also hurts the feelings of the troops and their families), and
pretending that you really think the person holds that position is
_wrong_. And for a bunch of people to look into the camera, and state
that they believe he meant it (and then off-the-air admit they don't)
just proves that the truth is completely optional for these people.

Just as it is mean and petty to make fun of Kerry for being (as so
many point out) so zombie-like, and completely unable to deliver a
joke or a smile on a podium. He's a nerd.

If someone took a Bush statement:

"For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal
shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just
unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it."

And pretended that Bush meant that more shootings should be fatal, and
made a big stink about it, that would be wrong.