What he said was clearly offensive. The corrected version only offends
the president. If Kerry explained what he meant from the beginning and
apologized for leaving out a few key words it would have ended then.
Instead he refused to apologize and blamed Bush for his messing up of
the joke. In the end he did apologize and it's no longer news. That's
the kind of person you think would make a great president?