Agreed on the positive reinforcement.  Along G's point, if you catch him
peeing elsewhere, a very stern "No" and finger point or other indicative
body language is usually enough to convey your point.  This will only
work if you catch him in the act and immediately put him back on the pad
(then change your body language once he's on the pad...).

When we potty trained our dog, we took her outside every 30 minutes on a
leash (or some other equally insane interval) and said "hurry up!" Once
she peed, we'd give her a treat, and tons of praise. Then we'd go right
back inside to make the point that this was not play time, although you
can play *after* peeing if you want.  You could do the same with your
pup - bring him over to the pad every hour or half hour or whatever
(even on a leash, to indicate that this is not play time), and don't
initiate any play or even eye contact. Just say your word/phrase, stand
there, and wait. If he tries to play, gently correct him. And if he
doesn't pee/poop after a bit, then that's ok.  Take him off. If he does,
lots of praise and a treat, then take him off the pads.  Go back again
in 45 minutes...

Dunno if any of that'll help you, but I can honestly say that using a
phrase to indicate what we want our dog to do is the best thing to
happen to us on cold winter nights and mornings!  We've even got Banjo
trained to ring a bell now when she has to go out, which has saved us a
lot of hassle and miscommunication.

Oh, and about the biting... sounds like what you're doing is great!
I've also found that when my puppy wanted to nip, gently but firmly
grabbing her muzzle, giving it a little (gentle but firm) shake and
saying no bite, *then* presenting the toy adds a subtle touch of
dominance that the dog might need to get the point.