On 11/8/06, Robyn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Oh, and about the biting... sounds like what you're doing is great!
> I've also found that when my puppy wanted to nip, gently but firmly
> grabbing her muzzle, giving it a little (gentle but firm) shake and
> saying no bite, *then* presenting the toy adds a subtle touch of
> dominance that the dog might need to get the point.

The dominance issue is a very important one. As much as we like to think of
dogs as our children, they aint...they're animals, and like all animals,
their behavior depends greatly upon a social order that establishes
dominance and submissiveness. You have to do that using physical force. Not
to injure the dog or even cause pain, just to show that physically you can
overpower him (hold him when he wants to run, move him when he wants to
stay, etc).

Grabbin the muzzle is a great form of this. Physically forcing the mouth
closed. Makes the point pretty clear to the dog.

--
Anarchist reactionary running dog revisionist
Hindu muslim catholic creation / evolutionist