> -----Original Message-----
> From: C. Hatton Humphrey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 8:20 PM
> To: CF-Community
> Subject: Re: Just saw "Happy Feet"
>
> Okay, two questions for you:
> 1. Would a 4 year old enjoy it?

I doubt it.  The film was done in a very "realistic" style and several
scenes were downright scary (the leopard seal attack, the orca attack, etc).

There was a LOT of dialog (much of it thickly, and often embarrassingly,
accented) and "serious talk".

The movie also jumped around a lot - not in a kinetic "keep their attention
way" but rather in a weird "I think we forgot something in that last scene,
let's do it again" way.

Lastly although there is a lot of music in the movie it's all rather "adult"
music - no catchy kids tunes.  Rather most of the tunes are "modernized"
classics from Prince, Queen, Elvis, etc.

(Much of the soundtrack is actually pretty good.  Not great, but better than
the movie in my opinion.)

Still - much of the animation is bright (the movie is set on an ice-shelf)
and moves well.  For what it's worth my 4-year daughter sat through most of
it, mostly quiet.

> 2. How was Robin Williams's character?

He actually does two characters.  Both are fine, I guess.  One character is
done in a completely over-the-top Hispanic accent and at times is all but
intelligible.  The other is essentially a "preacher" character - but that
character (who is also the narrator) spends a significant portion of the
film mute.

In short I don't think Williams saves this movie from itself (like you can
argue he did for "Robots" and "Aladdin").

I generally don't care much about other opinions but in general it seems
that reviewers actually liked it (I hit RottenTomatoes.com after seeing a
movie out of curiosity).

Jim Davis