I'm not sure whose going to "win" (I doubt either will)... but I think it's
worth noting a few things:

1) Blu-ray is not "anti-porn" - but at this point it is cheaper.  In short
the Porn industry is going to go where production is cheap.  This price
differential won't exist forever however - prices should come into line
pretty quickly.

Also the porn industry is not as great a power in this race as it was in the
VHS v Beta days due primarily to the multiple (and cheaper) distribution
paths (namely the internet).

The porn industry does have some power at the beginning of a race but if
Blu-Ray pulls ahead porn will follow the money, pure and simple.

(Also remember that this whole silly story began with ONE porn producer's
comments - and apparently not even one of the larger ones.  Just like
Hollywood I think that you'll find some studios favoring one or the other or
both.)

2) Blu-Ray currently has more (non-porn) studio support.  HD-DVD has
Universal, Paramount, and Warner - but the latter two also producing
Blu-Ray.  Blu-Ray has, then, 20th Century Fox, Disney/Buena Vista, Lionsgate
Films, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, and Warner
Bros.

So (again, as of right now - things might change tomorrow).  Blu-Ray has
exclusive support of four of the major studios and shared support of two.
HD-DVD has exclusive support of one.

Don't discount the power of some of these brands: you can only get Disney
(and perhaps more importantly, Pixar) on Blu-Ray.

3) Blu-Ray does store more, but more importantly it has a great potential to
work better.  The BD-J layer is potentially really cool (it's already pretty
slick on discs like "Superman Returns").

With this special features can be overlayed on the movie itself, you can
access menus, commentaries, etc at any point in the movie.

Once production prices come down I think you'll actually see porn studios
flocking to this enhanced interactivity layer just as they were the first to
really take advantage of DVD interactivity features.

4) There's more selection on the Blu-Ray side of the house.  This, of
course, has to do with the number of studios showing support but it has the
important effect that there's a larger Blu-Ray section at Walmart and Best
Buy.  People see 10 shelf-feet of Blu-ray and 4 shelf-feet of HD-DVD and
they come to their own conclusions.

Blu-Ray also has more eye-catching packaging (my mother actually noticed and
remembered it but didn't even know about HD-DVD) and (at least seemingly) a
catchier name.

In the end however this format "war" doesn't really need a "winner".  For
one thing it's not really a "war" - in general not many people are
interested at all.  This isn't providing a brand new experience like the VCR
or the DVD player did - it's better resolution, yes, but until HD itself
penetrates completely there's just not much of a demand for either.

Secondly there are at least two avenues for interoperability: hybrid
(dual-sided) discs and dual-format players.  Since both technologies use the
same physical format (a 5" disc) I think that dual format players will
become the norm in (a guess based on the similar adoption of multi-format
DVD burners) three years.

I think counting either format out at this stage is ridiculous.  My personal
opinion is that the war will be a non-issue: by the time the average
consumer will care about this mess they'll just end up buying dual-format
players.

Jim Davis