> cHat wrote:
> Judges should interpret the laws as written without allowing political
> or personal feelings to affect the interpretation.

I always puzzle about what that means, specifically the word "interpret".

A good judge should be vetted for his/her academic understanding of
the intent of the framers based on their written opinion and law.  In
that sense, a good judge will rule on her belief of what the framers
would do rather than what they would do.

If that's a fair assumption, then their work should be judged on their
strength of their reasoning and therefore obvious on the intent of
their rule.

If we agree on that, then any judge should be able to rule on any
issue.  Therefore discrediting them due to some perceived lack
expertise is ridiculous.