I imagine Einstein probably made all of his important discoveries because of
his memorization skills. :)

Seriously, I've never been a fan of memorizing stuff.  That's one of the
biggest reasons I pulled my daughter out of public school and sent her to a
Montessori school.  Just recently we had a gathering at the school were they
had a couple of former students return (The Montessori school only goes to
6th grade).  There was a 7th and an 11th grader there. Both of them were
amazed at the amount of homework assigned at public schools.  The 7th grader
was talking about how it was inundating at first.  Both of them said that
the homework wasn't hard, it was really just busy work.  To quote the 11th
grader, "With the homework we have now, the answers are always in the book,
you just have to find them.  When we were asked questions at the montessori
school, you had to find the answer in your head".