> Dana wrote:
> I don't know that I care what the number is. It's too high no matter what it
> is.

That's the best point.  There are all kinds of methodologies and all
kinds of numbers and all of them are estimates.

What all of them show, to one degree or another, is how unprepared our
troops and our government are, how bungled the planning was and is,
and HUGE of a mistake the decision was in the first place.

It's interesting because I wonder what the general consensus is on
"better or not".  Sure, there was the police state to contend with,
but there was also peace and life was mostly predictable.  Now it's
totally unpredictable but you have more liberty.

What I compare this too is a friend I have who grew up and lived in
East Germany, behind the wall.  He now works for a multinational
country and lives elsewhere in Europe very comfortably.

So I asked him which he preferred: the Stasi induced fear state or
modern life in Europe.  He said, very surprisingly and seriously, that
they both had advantages and disadvantages.  He said the sense of
community was HUGE in East Germany; that because of the Stasi and
communism people tended to ban together in neighborhoods and help each
other out: I know a mechanic, you're a butcher, let's trade kind of
thing.

Anyway, I wonder if many Iraqis feel the same.