I may not be understanding it correctly, but I know one common
convention for Flash was to group all actionscript in a layer of it's
own so as to not have little bits of code in different frames,
different layers which quickly becomes a PITA.

Also, the OO aspect of it could be two fold.  Your first way, or it
could be that the button announces an event and the event is acted
upon by a "controller" object/script.