I suppose it depends.

PhotoShop performance really ends up as a wash in my experience.  Some
things are faster on one platform, some on another - but nothing that you'd
really notice.  The bottom line is that most of PhotoShop's true performance
sinks (filters, convertors, etc) have long since been optimized to CPU
microcode: so running on an Intel chip, regardless of the OS, will result in
similar performance overall.

In short, for PhotoShop performance (whether on Mac or Windows) you'll get a
bigger bang for the buck either increasing RAM (1 Gig is just plain anemic
for heavy photoshop use) or moving to a faster processor regardless of
platform.

Of course if you really want to improve productivity when image editing you
could just switch to CorelDraw.  (Just thought I'd start another religious
war) ;^)

Jim Davis