I remember taking psychology, in both high school and college. I remember
that every issue we confronted, we would investigate what the different
philosophies believed were the causes and treatments for the various
issues....the humanists, the behaviorists, the cognitive folks, the
psychoanalytic thought, etc. etc.

Each "branch" if you will, always had their own incomplete way of viewing
and treating psychological issues. At the end of every section, there was
always the obligatory "A combined approach that utilizes humanist,
behavioral, psychoanalytical and biological treatments produces the best
results." It got so repetitive that I dismissed the whole exercise as
pointless. At one point I finally asked the instructors "Are there still
psychologists out there that wholly subscribe to only one philosophy?"

I feel that same frustration with politics: "Are there still people that
really believe a conservative or a liberal philosophy can stand on it's own
as the best way to govern?"

Sorry for the long tangent, but this issue just comes back the simple point
that exclusivity is rarely a good thing, and usually leads to incompleteness
at best, and ignorance and outright failure at worst.