>I used to be very anal about OS/app separation and move apps onto a separate
>partition (not separate drive).  But that really does slow things down - the
>disk goes crazy shifting between partitions when opening apps.

True...I use one partition for all my drives and have for awhile. But yeah,
they're your basic 7200 IDE drives...my system after all *is* 4 years old. As I
said, I don't *expect* Photoshop to scream on it. I know I'm going to have to
sit and wait for a minute for it to load...can't say I see any difference using
CS3 either. It takes almost as long to load and doesn't even have all my
filters and actions installed. The beta I was running crashed pretty frequently
so I didn't do a whole lot with it anyway. Maybe throwing another gig of memory
on the system would make a difference...but I doubt it would make enough of one
to warrant the expense, just to hang in there until I can upgrade my entire
system. For now, I'll just keep rebooting and shutting down everything I can
everytime I want to do any work in PS.