create a democracy in Iraq. Now we are fighting the war to defend that new,
fragile democracy from a host of enemies internal and external. What are we
gaining? An ideological ally in the Arab world- our first. If Iraq survives
as a democracy, I believe we could well see Jordan following suit with more
openness in government. Iraq, Lebanon, and Jordan become a block of moderate
countries with pro-American governments. They isolate Syria, effectively
cutting it off from its allies. They begin to exert pressure on both Shiite
Iran and Sunni (Wahabbi) Saudi Arabia to change their ways.

Wahabbis, Al Qaeda, Shiite theocrats and other extremists will never accept
a world in which they co-exist in peace with other faiths. The very core of
their belief systems prohibit a "live and let live" mentality. We can never
be lulled into thinking that we can make peace with these people. They have
to moderate their views or we will be fighting them for decades to come.

--
Robert Munn