Maybe - I've not heard about it.

I can't see how it could be true tho' - so much is IN the registry.  File
associations, DLL links, user information, etc - apps simply need to modify
that information.  In any case I notice many Vista certified apps(Office
2007, OneCare, etc) make many registry entries and so will any previous
applications.

You might be thinking more about general robustness - in other words if an
app's keys were destroyed or corrupted the app should still function (either
by adopting default values or rebuilding them).  There's also UAC which will
bark when an install attempts to write to the registry.

But I think as far as Apps go Vista and XP work about the same (although I'm
honestly not sure how System Restore handles things).

Jim Davis