I just wanted to point out a story that probably didn't make the news
elsewhere.

A very violent storm spawned a tornado here the other day. These are almost
unheard of in New Mexico, as the mountains break up the plains and there really
isn't room for them to run. Nonetheless, one formed in a very rural area and
was reported by a citizen. It was confirmed and the emergency alert went out
within minutes, and within only a few minutes more the state police shut down a
section of I-25 until the tornado passed over it. Result - a non-event where
there could conceivably have been ugly casualties. The stretch of highway in
question is a steep climb up a cliff face.

I'm not much for gee whiz, and I wasn't there, but I do travel this piece of
road every day and was really impressed by the response to a threat there would
have been good reason to not plan for.