>> Keep in mind though, that most muslims will prefer to visit the Mega Mosque,
>> which will teach moderate Islam, >> rather than go down to the local mullahs
>> for a healthy dose of extremist rants.

For sure, that makes excellent sense and I agree whole heartedly with you that
it would certainly be a benefit in that way and the Muslim community and
perhaps to a slightly lesser extent the general community would benefit from
this, however I just don’t see why this needs to be funded by what is
essentially public money?

I think all projects like this (those of a religious nature) need to be treated
as private sector projects and should be funded respectively, I'd much rather
see public money like this spent on more needy projects like the regeneration
of the health service and the education system, which in all honesty is far
more important as both of those effect _everyone_ and not a religious minority.

I'm not totally convinced that the way to target extremism is to offer a more
attractive alternative either, to stop extremist views within the community you
need to directly target those who preach and believe it, simply offering the
community a more passive alternative to their religious teachings won't stop
the hard-line extremist believers from practising.

I also agree with Casey's view that 'the Muslim quarter' affair with the
Olympics is a terrible idea, nurturing the already somewhat unsettling
segregation of the Muslim community is not a good idea, we should all be
striving for an integrated society where we put religion aside and respect one
another's freedom to believe in whatever we chose, treating one another equally.

I just worry that until we take religion out of political and moral decisions
this will never be achievable.

Various Catholic schools, organisation and churches receive different
levels of government funding.

I think the problem here is that it is a Muslim mosque, and the amount
of money being spent.

Keep in mind though, that most muslims will prefer to visit the Mega
Mosque, which will teach moderate Islam, rather than go down to the
local mullahs for a healthy dose of extremist rants.

Think about it.