> I tend to agree that this is not about school. "My wife is furious
> because my mother has trumped my wife's wishes.

I think it was some of that too... we've come to an agreement on the
issue that we are going to consult with the teacher about Memorial Day
/ the wedding.  The wife is now backing off... I know she posted a
thread on her MOMS club email list, I'm assuming they calmed her down.

Her fear is that with No Child Left Behind, kindergarten isn't "just
playtime" any more.  According to her (based on her time spent at the
school) there will be homework every night.

> That said, I suppose every one here that I consider most public school
> to be of dubious value anyway.

Actually, the local public schools are phenomenal.... but that's
because we're such a small community that we have grown the school
technology while not turning it into a bastion of political
correctness.  I have been in the school and listened as a teacher
helped two students work out a disagreement and then, because they all
went to the same church, pray over the issue.  My wife, who is a
substitute teacher's aide, was told that she is not only allowed to
but in some cases expected to act as both helper and "mom".

It apparently pays off, too.  One of the graduates in my church is
going to college on a 100% scholarship ($60k) to a private university
and she's not the valedictorian of her class.  The school is rated #1
in Niagara county, had a 100% "Regents" (or college-bound) diploma
rating and has been that way for a long time.

So it's about 98% settled that the daughter will go with us to the
wedding.  Thanks for listening ;)