Do we need to?

I think the graphics can, definitely, be better on the PS3 than on the
360... but not so much so that it'll be selling point on its own.  The PS3
is a difficult machine to develop for and so much of its power will (like
the PS2) go untapped by most games for several years.

I think there's a definite, and instant, plus to the increased storage of
the PS3.  When you can use five Gig of a disc just to store uncompressed 7.1
audio it does make a (subtle) difference.  When you don't need to compress
textures or video assets it makes a difference.

But graphics aren't the story and hardware isn't the story.  The most
beautiful game I've played in years is "Odin Sphere" - a 2D game for the
PS2.  "Flow" vies for that title as well.  I fully expect Minter's "Space
Giraffe" on XBL Arcade to be one of the best looking game on that system.
None of these titles are CPU bound - they all succeed through a perfection
of design.

> Are we going to see gameplay and AI that far oustrips what is possible
> on the 360?

Do we need to?

I think that "Little Big Planet" epitomizes the kind of game that would be
difficult to achieve on the 360.  Both visually and physically.  I'm not
saying it can't be done, but I am suggesting that the 360 doesn't have
anything that comes close at this point.

Sony is, on several, fronts creating, I think, more compelling experiences
than MS is at this point.  It's not by a huge margin and MS isn't standing
still and the balance could shift with one stunning announcement.  But I do
think Sony has an edge right now.

But that's also beside the point.

The real question is: why do you insist that for the PS3 to be a success it
must crush Microsoft?  It doesn't have to.  If the Wii has shown us anything
it's that horsepower isn't needed to succeed: it's all about compelling
experiences.  All three of these players can succeed in this market - I
doubt any will dominate in any meaningful way but it's almost unthinkable
that any of the three will fail outright.

Why must Sony prove not only that they have good games, but that their games
are significantly more technically powerful than Microsoft games?

Jim Davis