Rick,

It takes a lot of fresh figs to make enough dried fig jam for fig bars.  You
can get fig jam by the pound -- just use that.

Reserve fresh figs for the delights they can truly be.  Some people like
them just as they are; others prefer them poached in port wine with a good
dose of white sugar, a piece of cinnamon stick, and some orange zest.

The easiest way to eat fresh or poached or glaceed figs is to stand them up
vertically, cut from stem to base almost but not all the way through in an
"X", and then use your knife to scrape out the interior of each quarter,
slide it through the pool of sauce (if any) on the plate, and mound it onto
your fork.  If you have some sponge cake it goes well with poached figs, and
a light tea to really finishes the meal just right.

I love figs.  I just picked up some dried Black Mission Figs from the
Farmer's Market for desserts.

So Rick, you like dates?  Usually people who like figs also like dates, and
vice-verse.  I never knew how many variety of dates there were until
recently.  My favorite are the Medjhool.  They go quickly around here.

Respectfully,

Adam Phillip Churvis

Get advanced intensive Master-level training in
C# & ASP.NET 2.0 for ColdFusion Developers at
ProductivityEnhancement.com