I have never successfully harvested figs because the fuzzy tailed rats keep
eating them.  :)

At my parent's house I planted 2 fig trees.  They are both over 6 feet tall now
and were covered with figs in May.  When it was time to harvest them I got 6
figs off of one and maybe a dozen off of the other other.  The rest were eaten
by birds or them darned FT rats.  Next year I'm going to try rubber snakes and
inflatable owls to see if I can harvest more.