My grandmother was diagnosed late.  She was in stage three when it was caught
and within weeks she slipped into stage 5.

The only advice I can offer is to be there for him.  This will be even scarier
for him.  If you and your family is overwhelmed by this, feel free to join a
support group.  There are others out there going through the same.

Also, don't be afraid to get professional help.  There are skilled nurses and
sitters who specialize in working Alzheimer's patients and thier families.

Keep him active.  I read somewhere that keeping his mind and body active and
engaged will help him fight the effects.  Since he was a programmer, pick his
brain about the old school way of programming.  Keep him active in his hobbies.

DON'T let him just sit around doing nothing.  That is a quick way to his
decline.  His communnity my have an adult "day care" for Alzheimer's patients.
There will be others there like him in various stages.  Don't be afraid to get
him to go to one.

We ended up placing my grandmother in an Alzheimer's home because she needed 24
hour support.  She became very paranoid and was on the verge of hurting herself
more than a few times times before we realized what was going on.

Let the children spend time with him.  Let them ask the questions of him.  If
they make him remember his life, it will keep him more engaged and active.

Also, don't be afraid of letting them see him decline.  My neices visited my
grandmother in the home as she declined.  One was very young at the time, but
she helped out by asking the tough questions like what her great grandfather
was like.  The nursing staff said my grandmother was always much calmer and
more coherant when my neices left.

This is tough for you and your family, especially with the move, etc.  But,
speaking for myself at least, we are here to help if we can.