That's one of those oddities of political language. Federalism refers to a
federation of states rather than a federal entity, hence the confusion.

I like Federalism, which is not to say that I dislike the U.S. government
but that I think it should stay out of issues like education which are
inherently local in nature. Nor does my admiration for Federalism make me
wary of the Judicial branch of the U.S. government. It is, after all, the
Judiciary that is the ultimate protector of people's rights under the
Constitution. Don't believe the hype that support for Federalism and support
for a strong U.S. Judiciary are in some way fundamentally at odds.