Hey Jerry, forgot to post an idea that worked for me with Quark-

XTags!  The only dependable way I found to get crap to look the way
I wanted, keep the formatting (so they can do the nifty quark stuff that
formats the whole think however they want, etc.), and whatnot.

They'd have to have the fonts installed, but it's easy to specify what for
what and whatnot.  (Make a document, style it, and view the XTags source
for the styles).

Probably not what you need or wanted, but it's good to know if you do a
lot with quark, (especially when you find the XML stuff doesn't work quite
as advertised!).

Other than that, I'd suggest you make sure the fonts are embedded within
the PDF, perhaps.

If it's too late to help, or wouldn't have helped anyways, well... oh well.
=]