The would outsource to whomever had the services until it because less
expensive to build the services themselves.

That's just good business.

I'm challenging the argument that socialized medicine automatically results
in reduced high-end services using Canada as a case-study.  You can't
separate the fact that the Canadian system was built in the shadow and with
the optional support of the U.S. system.  In other words it's not "The
Canadian System" that resulted in the quality of care issues the article
raised, it's the "Canadian System and it's interactions with the American
System" that did.

Like any complex social system you can't make reasonable assumptions or
predictions without looking at the environment in which it occurred.  Any
attempt to socialize medicine in the U.S. would almost definitely end up
much different than the Canadian system for the simple fact that we would
not have a convenient, compatible, resource-rich system to rely on.

To put it differently the author seems to suggest that Canada's system
"failed" so that it now relies on the U.S. system for backup.  I would argue
instead that it succeeded so well because it was _designed_ to do so.

Jim Davis